Sunday, February 26, 2012

Shall we begin?

Hi all. Quick introduction...

My name is Tony Wong. I am caricature of a Chinese American. I am raised in the San Francisco Bay Area so my viewpoints on all things will be from this context.

I am what my Chinese parents would call an ABC or a Banana. ABC as in American Born Chinese, pretty self-explanatory. Banana as in I look Chinese, but I think and act like that white couple next door that look like they belong in a JCrew ad (Yellow on the outside. White on the inside).

Though I was brought up in the US, that white couple next door from the JCrew ad still thinks I have an accent when speaking English. Come on guys, really? I know all my Chinese American friends have that Chinese American accent, but not me.

I speak and write Chinese, barely. Good enough to fool the uninformed and bad enough for all real Chinese people to say, "Let's speak English instead". My non-Chinese friends think I'm so awesome because I'm multilingual. But my Chinese mother is constantly frustrated trying to decipher what I'm trying to say when I'm speaking Chinese, "Hey, how come you speak Chinese so bad? As your mother, I have failed you."

Culturally, I sort of understand Chinese culture and I sort of understand American culture. Any of my white ex-pat friends who have worked in a China for a couple of years understand the Chinese better than I do. At the same time, I never really figured out the American culture because once I came home from school I was constantly being brainwashed on the Ways of China by my mother and father.

Most of this stuff I'll never admit to in person, but this is the Internet so everything's game.

This is who I am. I'm neither Chinese nor American. I am Chinese and Confused in America. It comes with the package of being Chinese American. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment